Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Defining Media

Is that with a capital M?

I have used the word media for a couple different purposes and today I had to question myself. In my book, The Media refers to the whole industry. Newspapers, TV, radio or online, anyone that seeks out information and reports it to the world is 'The Media'. And thinking on it now, it also refers to the medium that these people use to send these reports. The physical papers, TV & radio waves etc are the media.

So I guess I have used both definitions of the word 'media' as referred to in the lecture.I like the quote from McKenzie Wark "they are the conduit (Vector) that allows some other process to happen.

Looking at the history of Media studies was interesting. I kept equating it back to what I have learnt in Psychology over this year. We have looked at the different perspectives and how they had come about.

As with Psych, studies in media started with vague ideas based on suppositon and theories. Someone comes up with an idea ie: Bullet Theory, and then everyone jumps on the bandwagon until some bright spark finds a flaw and starts to pull it all apart. This then leads to the next big thing and so the trend goes.....

But I guess this is how we humans learn! We theorize, we test, we conclude and then we move on.

Baudrillard has caught my attention though. From the first time (or perhaps before) I saw the Matrix I have questioned the possibility of reality. Back to psych; we learnt that what we see is actually an interpretation of the image that is processed through the eye. What I see in front of me may not be the same as what you would see when looking at the exact same spot. Hmmmmm... I don't go for all the conspiracy theories, but I don't just discount them either. I like to explore all possibilities before coming to any conclusions.

So in all I think today's lecture has given me much on which to ponder. Hmmmmm...

Happy pondering.

Lee

No comments: