Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tutorial task for day 8

TASK: Given the conventional wisdom that traditional media are still the dominant form for getting "news" out to the world, do you think the internet will effect the audience for those old media?Check out the local IndyMedia website. What kind of news is there, and do you think a website like that has a place in your life?Do you think the internet is (was?) an effective tool for politicians to reach out to their intended audience?What do you think about blogs as a way for people to get information out? What about their role as political commentary?

Attempt to answer: This topic was touched on earlier in the course and it was interesting to hear the varying opinions. I personally now have far greater exposure to 'news' because I access a computer every day and usually access news sites, as opposed to earlier days when I would have to buy a paper or watch the new broadcast on TV. I rarely bought a paper, one because I didn't always have access to a shop, two I didn't always have the time to sit and read a paper (and if I paid for it I would want to read the whole thing) and three because I usually feel guilty when I think of how many trees I am reading. But there were other classmates who like to hold the paper and take the time to read it. This again comes back to choice. But given our question, I think it is not just the Interent that will effect the audience, but an awareness of our environment combined with access to alternative sources of this information (news) that will make the difference. I hope so anyway.

The Indymedia site offers hope. If more local associations / news organisations and their audience had easy access to the internet we could eliminate the need for a huge amount of the worlds paper media. This service does not have to be free either. People pay for their papers now, so why wouldn't the pay to recieve them electronically. Subscription would help avoid spam etc, and people can still have their choice of what they are exposed to.

I don't think that the current level of internet use allows it to be an effective tool for politicians. But if the internet community was allowed to grow to include all levels of socio-economics then yes it would be an effective tool. But this would also allow it to be an effective tool for education, economics, commerce and community. We already hear statements like 'the internet has made the world smaller' ' has brought the world together'. Maybe we need to ensure that this wonderful 'tool' is for all.

In regards to blogs. At present I believe they are useful for a small amount of people to share information or to get exposure. But I don't think it is far reaching enough to have a great deal of effect on a world scale. However, this could and possibily should change. If we do embrace the internet as a world media source and make it available to the masses through realistic pricing of hardware and free or cheaper software, then blogs are a wonderful way for the everyday person to share their thoughts, ideas creations and their worlds.

No comments: